Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December 12, 2011 Weekly letter

Hello everyone

Well its transfer time again. Sister Lieber will be leaving, I'm staying here in Eldersburg. I will let you know next week all about my new companion as I wont know who i'll be with until transfer meeting on wednesday. It will be sad to see sister lieber go, but at the same time I think we've learned what we needed to from each other. I'm excited to work with someone new.
Virginias baptism went well! They had to dunk her twice though. She freaked out the first time and nearly drowned herself. Haha. She doesn't like water very much. But she made it. She kept saying how happy and content she is now. She will be going to back to Nigeria sometime next year and she's eager to share the gospel with the people there. We have two other baptisms in the workings for this month. I'm not going to say too much about it because they arent set in stone just yet. But we've been working with one of them since I got here and I am sooo excited hes finally made the decision to be baptized.
Other than that theres not too much to say about this past week. We had zone conference and the ward christmas part this past week, lots of christmas celebrations. Its still about 50 degrees here during the day on average and I dont think i've ever wanted it to snow so badly in my life! Christmas music is slightly on the creepy side when its raining and everything outside is dead. Oh we had a really cool teaching opportunity we had this week. So sister lieber and I have been making paper snow flakes and putting them on our windows the past couple weeks. As we were leaving one morning this woman who lives in our apartment building flagged us down and asked us how we made them. Its not too often that people chase US down. Actually that never happens. So we offered to teach her how to make them sometime secretely hoping that we would be able to teach her a little about the gospel. And she let us come over that night! We were able to teach her a little bit about the church and what we do as missionaries. It was really cool. She told us to come back any time. I want people to flag me down more often. Haha.
Hmm what else... well I've had a few people ask me about just how bad the area is that I'm in, so I guess I'll answer that for everyone at once. So in our area there is a giant resevoir, liberty resevoir, that divides our area almost exactly in half. East of the bridge we are just about the only white people and there are a lot of weird things that happen at night. The cops show up often, i'll just say that. But its not unsafe. just not somewhere I would ever chose to live. West of the bridge is a totally dfferent world. There are some REALLY affluent neighborhoods. Part of this area is the third wealthiest county in America. So its not all bad, a lot of it is really nice. We just live in the not so nice part.
Everything else is going well. I am excited about the work thats going on here. I'm sending a picture of virginia and also of probably the biggest christmas tree in the world. It belongs to the
wheelers, a family in the ward. Last year they had one that was quite a bit bigger, about 12 feet across!
Have a good week everyone! Take care

Sister Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment