Monday, October 3, 2011

Hello!



Well this week hasn't been too exciting. Our investigators don't want to keep their appointments. They call us half an hour before and cancel It's really frustrating. I've been here two weeks and I haven't met 4 of the people we're teaching. We had quite a few doors slammed, I got chewed out by a couple of drunk guys, and to top it off it's been raining all day, every day.

There has been some good though. Conference was definitely the hilight of the week. Mainly because we didn't have to spend all day struggling to find someone to teach. Last night we taught the guard for our apartment complex ( we live in a gated community). His name is Kingsley, he's from Ebu. From what I understand he doesn't go to church, but he knows the bible front to back. And the way he interprets it is pretty much exactly how we interpret it. He's great. If he just reads the book of mormon, I think he's totally be ready for baptism in a couple of weeks. The problem is he said he's "not going to read it unless the spirit directs him to". He doesn't do anything unless he's directed by the spirit, or so he says. I don't think it'll be a problem though.

We taught Leyla again, she's one of my absolute favorite people we're teaching right now. We brought a member with who speaks Russian ( she's from Russia, I don't know if I mentioned that last time), and he kind of destroyed our lesson. I don't think we got 5 words in. It's been quite some time since he served his mission, so he's a little rusty in teaching. He started talking about the restoration and I think it just confused her. But I don't think it did too much damage, she'll be alright. She still wants to see us, so thats good.

I think I mentioned Joe and Tyese in my last letter. Tyese converted about a month ago and her husband Joe has been taking the discussions since then. Yesterday Tyese told us Joe wasn't interested anymore, which was totally devastating. He's sooo close. He's been reading the book of mormon and thinks that it's right in line with the bible. Unfortunately he's beeen "researching" about the church on the internet, I'm not sure exactly what, but he has a hard time believeing Joseph Smith was a prophet because of some of the things he read. UGH! I just wish he would of watched Elder Callisters talk yesterday. Totally would have demolished all of his concerns. I just don't get how someone could totally believe the bible, believe that moses parted the red sea or that noah survived on an arc with all these animals, yet they can't believe that Joseph Smith was able to translate ancient Egyptian into English. People are stubborn. Someday, Joe will get there. Hopefully sooner than later.

Well I think that's about it... like I said, this week hasn't been too exciting. The ward here is absolutely amazing and I think that's what helps me get through the days. They're all ridiculously nice to us and so willing to give us referrals and come teaching with us.

I hope everyone is doing well. I haven't really heard from anyone since i've been here, so I hope you're all still alive!



Have a good week!

Love

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment